No really. It literally exploded on the stove.
I was so proud of myself for setting (and actually getting up to) an alarm yesterday morning. I got Lorelei all set up with breakfast and started to do the dishes. I thought that while I was unloading the dishwasher I could set a pot to boil for my tea. So, I turned the burner on and continued to put things away.
Here's where my fatal (and really, really dangerous) error occurred. When unloading the dishwasher, I put my big, blue, Pyrex mixing bowl on the front burner of the electric stove, the tea pot being on the back.
Guess which burner was on.
After a few minutes with my back turned to the stove, I thought to myself, "Self. Why is that water not boiling yet?"
When I turned around, there was my bowl, sitting dead center on glowing red coils. I won't share the expletive that I belted out, but I will say that the volume at which it was bellowed shook the walls.
Ok, there was another major foible that, in hind sight, might have saved the bowl (hot glass + cold surface = breakage), a half an hour, and tons of frustration.
I moved the bowl to a cold burner. Two seconds later,
Needless to say, there was blue glass all over the kitchen. I even felt shards hit my thigh. (I'm very happy that Lorelei was out of the kitchen when this happened because the flying glass was right at her eye level.)
I stood for a moment, assessing the damage (and watching the still disintegrating bowl), told the startled Lorelei to stay waaaay out of the kitchen and to get me some shoes. (She came back with my mustard-yellow, patten leather, open-toed, 3" Mary Janes. That's my girl!)
I won't bore you with the details of the cleanup, but I will lend some sound advice.
Never, never, never, never, NEVER put a glass bowl on the stove.
I'm thinking I won't get a Pyrex sponsorship from this one. What do you think?